Read | Practice | Advance
Globalization is a familiar and standard practice across many industries in this era. Information technology and software development companies are also excelling in this drive. Software development teams are working together from various locations by collaborating with the software development outsourcing service providers. Some companies are even shifting their entire development wing in an offshore location to minimize cost and utilize best resource pools available. Selecting an offshore company/location to outsource software development is a critical decision to make. If the decision is not taken carefully it may hamper the success of the development project.
“Fall seven times, stand up eight.”
Japanese culture and thought process is addressed in the above Japanese proverb. This is one of the highly appreciable Japanese resilience approach. Personal, family, and business aspects of Japanese culture is powered by this virtue.
01. Pursuit of long-term partnerships (Beneficial for both parties).
02. Select right-sized software development company (Be the biggest customer of your vendor).
03. Appropriate development methodology selection (Agile is applicable for most scenario).
04. Intellectual Property (IP) protection by means of the regional IP protection laws.
05. Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) to keep proprietary information as confidential.
06. Source code ownership agreement containing all the clauses regarding the source code ownership.
07. Visit selected offshore development center to build and nurture long-term business relationship.
08. Host the development & production servers in your location to have full control.
Developing software collaborating with an offshore software development team may seem challenging but offshoring does work and it is a prominent cost effective alternative solution for your development needs. Following the best practices, you can ensure an effective partnership ensuring greater project success rate.
“There are many paths to enlightenment. Be sure to take the one with a heart.”
- Lao Tzu